Friday, October 2, 2015

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris


This week we got to read Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Which is a book about a criminal profiler who's hunting down a serial killer who likes to bite people.

First things first. I watched the movie long before I ever read the book. So I had that coloring my read. That said after having read the book, I still prefer the film. I think mostly because of the casting. I mean come on,  it's got The Hulk/Bruce Banner (Edward Norton), Odin (Anthony Hopkins), and Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes) in it. I just love those actors they were mad brilliant in the Red Dragon movie and pretty much everything else they are in. Plus watching Anthony Hopkins (whom I totally adore) as Hannibal it's just magic. That said it's maybe not as fun as watching him in this (*Contains Spoilers* Link, my favorite part is at marker 0:45.) scene but brilliant just the same. There's just something about watchign such a proper English Gentleman like Hopkins say "cool, whatever dude."

Here's the movie trailer if you haven't seen it. 


Anyway, we're not here to talk about the film. We are here to talk about the book. So let's start with what I liked. I really enjoyed the scenes with Dolerhyde. Probably more than I should have. And I'm pretty sure that I liked the Dolerhyde scenes way more than the Graham scenes. Mostly because I love the peek behind the curtain that those scenes give us as a reader into the mind of the Red Dragon and Dolerhyde. In fact, one scene with Dolerhyde made me laugh so hard I almost peed myself. The scene I'm talking about is the gas station scene in chapter 35. The craftsmanship in that chapter is mind-boggling as well. The line that made me laugh was this: "Pig. Idiot. Trash. Fool," (Harris, 244) and this one: "ass-eyes," (Harris, 244). These lines sounded so much like an angry six-year-old mixing cursing levels that I could not stop laughing. For me, it was perfect for the man-child that Dolerhyde really is to use language like this. He was so angry that he angered himself stupid. And it was brilliant and hilarious.

I also really enjoyed all the pop culture references in this book. I love when an author is in touch with what is current and what is past. The nod/reference that struck me as my favorite was this one: "You think I'm going to spot him across a crowded room? No, that's Ezio Pinza," (Harris, 42). I'm not sure if I was the only one to catch that one. But I loved it. My mom used to watch a lot of musicals when I was growing up and South Pacific was one of her favorites. I heard Some Enchanted Evening so many times I could sing it for you, by heart, right now. I won't because there's glass in the room, but I could (here's a link if you want to hear someone who's trained to sing, sing it). I love that nod. 
Those little touches make for an immersive, real read, and I love that Harris included those things. I also appreciated the nod to Beaumont's study. My science loving self thought that was all sorts of groovy.

Also, can we take a moment and talk about how Red Dragon had public teeth and killer teeth. That slays me. I love that he has his public teeth and the teeth only his victims see. That was a really nice touch, that'd hilarious and awesome. You wouldn't want to ruin your everyday teeth while murdering families. Naturally, I mean why wouldn't you have your public teeth and your killing teeth? It's a cool detail and I'm glad it was included.



Sure there were a few times when it was clear that the narrative was in love with it words but for me those passages where always in the Graham scenes and I think that's what leaf to me nor really liking Graham overly much. In fact, most of his scenes put me in skim mode. The Dolerhyde scenes didn't seem so in love with their own wordiness. Maybe that's why I enjoyed them more. This rule did not apply to the Graham scenes when Hannibal was in them. I love me some Hannibal Lecter. 

But mostly because I'm a huge Anthony Hopkins fan. 

Why are a lot of the serial killers body builders? American Psycho, The Sculptor, and now Red Dragon. I'm pretty sure there's a joke there. Not all body builders are serial killers, but most serial killers are bodybuilders. . .or something like that. I'm not a comedian, I'm a writer so whatever. But I'm wondering why they are all bodybuilders. Maybe it's the roids. It makes they crazy I guess. 

I'm also wondering why is it always a woman that messes these guys up. I mean really? Why is it always mommy issues? Why can't for once it be daddy issues? I'm tired of the "evil mom" trope in horror. It's lack of imagination and what's worse it's sexist. I mean Harris redeems himself in Hanibal Rising with Hanibal Lecter's backstory (if you haven't watched the movie or read the book, then you're missing out). But this one was a little meh, for me. I'm beyond over the whole "Mommy didn't love me enough when I was little," shtick. Its been my experience (both professionally and personally) that bad father's can do just as much damage (if not more than) bad mothers. I would just like to see gender equality in psycho creation that's all. 

Gripes aside this book was alright. I prefer the film, but I'm glad I read the book. It's definitely worth the read.

Works Cited

Hannibal Rising. Dir. Peter Webber. Perf. Gaspard Ulliel. 2007. Bluray.

Harris, Thomas. Red Dragon. New York: Penguin Group, 2008. eBook.

Red Dragon. Dir. Brett Ratner. Perf. Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, & Ralph Fiennes. 2002. DVD.

The Rite. Dir. Mikael Håfström. Perf. Anthony Hopkins. 2011. Bluray.

No comments:

Post a Comment