Friday, October 24, 2014

The Others

This week we got to watch the film The Others staring Nicole Kidman for our RIG Horror class. Confession time: This is not the first time I have seen this film. I have seen it a lot. I actually saw it on it’s opening night. I had a friend who’s favorite actor (Nicole Kidman) in it so I could get her to go with me to a scary film. Normally she’s a Rom Com kind of girl. So I jumped at the chance to get to see this one with her. Anyway I was really glad that I did because I loved the movie. The twist ending was probably my favorite part (more on that later). But anyway I ended up buying the movie when it hit Blu-ray and I've watched it a bunch since then. But to make sure I remembered it accurately I watched it again last night so I could give a thorough once over for you guys. 

What I Liked:

Gothic Nature of The Film:

So it’s no secret I am a freak for all things Gothic. I love it and this movie is Gothic as hell. Lush setting, isolated decrepit mansion, fog, three low graves by a Tim Burton-esque dead tree, the twist ending, intruders, ghosts, the self playing piano, mystery, intrigue, and so much more. Every Gothic detail imaginable was attended to. And visually it made this movie very rich and detailed for me.

As Gothic as it gets. Fog (check), Foreboding house in the background (check), heavy sigh (check). 


Hints All The Way Through:

I love how there are hints the whole way through the film of what the twist ending is. In fact one of the first times we see the character Mr. Tuttle he says “I imagine he’s dead like all the rest” (Amenábar) as he approaches the house. If that's not premonition I guess I must not know what is. It’s not the only time we get that kind of glimpse but it’s so subtle that you may not even notice unless you are watching it for the 20th time and you’re a total nerd like myself. But they are there for those of us so inclined to look for them.

I also liked how the children knew what had happened from the beginning. Well at least Anne did. But immediately her view point is discounted because it doesn't mesh with the mothers view point. I love that the kids are the smart ones and they know what is going on but no one will believe them including their own mother. The mother doesn't even entertain the idea that the children could be right. She just shuts it down as nonsense. One of the first scenes we get of the children, we have Anne say emphatically “It did happen,” (Amenábar) and she is soundly put down. Mom’s denial is stronger than the children’s understanding. That understanding being a major theme throughout the rest of the film.

How's that for discounting the children's POV. 


Imagery:

I love the use of curtains as a metaphor in this film. Usually that sort of metaphor is reserved for books not film. I love how they serve a dual purpose of keeping the light out and metaphorically for keeping the truth out. When the curtains are intact the characters are in denial. When they have been remove then the truth comes out. I love, love, love that this detail was put in there. It’s subtle yet meaningful.

The Ending:

Usually I am not surprised by the ending of movies. I tend to see them coming a mile away. But the first time I saw this film I had no idea what was coming. It’s so masterfully crafted that on first watch I had no idea how it would end.

What I Didn't Like:

So again I had to find something I hated in a movie I loved and the only thing I could come up with is this:

The Husband Coming Back:

I really don’t understand the reasoning for the appearance of the husband. It seems really out of place in the story. He just sort of meanders in and then meanders back out. For me I don’t see the point. It seems like it could have been cut and the plot would have been fine. He doesn't really do anything, nor does he move the plot forward for me. He almost seems like a way to elongate the story rather than improve it. For me all the husband scenes could be cut and it would be just fine. Maybe someone else can figure out why he’s even in there. Because I couldn't  figure it out.

Final Thoughts:

Over all I really enjoy this film. I have very little negative things to say about it. It’s a good film and the twist ending is very earned.


Works Cited


The Others. Dir. Alejandro Amenábar. Perf. Nicole Kidman. 2001. Blu-ray.

4 comments:

  1. I too am in love with the atmosphere of this film. Ugh, all that fog. <3
    I was also a little confused about the husband coming back, though, I'll admit, I did lose my mind a little because it was Chris Eccleston (my favorite Doctor). Maybe him coming was kind of a signal that they were going to realize they were ghosts soon? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the atmosphere. I like Gothic, but it doesn't draw me usually as much as you seem to love it, but with this movie it couldn't have been a more perfect setting for the tyrannical Grace and her children. I also felt the husband coming back was a bit of a strange addition, yet I guess I could see it as being another clue that they are all dead considering his behavior. I agree that if you cut him you wouldn't be losing anything, but at the same time it was a blip in an otherwise great movie. I too loved Anne's character and how she knew, but no one believed her. Even at first her brother didn't want to believe her - due to his fear - but it was the relationship between she and her mother that I enjoyed most, especially at the end when everything was revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw The Others a long time ago when I was a kid. My memory warped several things about the film over time, which surprised me (I thought the kids couldn't be exposed to light because it would reveal they were dead!) But I actually fully repressed the return of the husband from my memory. I think that's kind of telling. My subconscious mind was like “well, this has nothing to do with the story. Might as well get rid of it.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought of the curtains as something that keeps the truth out, but I can see that being a possibility now that I've seen your comment about it. That's much like how Jackson characterizes Hill House at the beginning of her novel; the opening paragraph states that the house is sealed up, which isn't permanent, and that is the case for this house as well.

    ReplyDelete